By Caribbean News Global contributor
PROVIDENCIALES, TCI – The people of the Turks and Caicos Islands on Friday 19, 2021, gave a landslide victory to the opposition Progressive National Party (PNP) Charles Washington Misick in a historic general elections.
The released by the Turks and Caicos Islands elections department show the PNP captured 14 of the 15 seats at stake. The People’s Democratic Movement (PDM) premier Sharlene Cartwright-Robinson the territory’s first female premier, lost her At-Large seat.
Premier Misick on Monday formally announced the following recommendations for appointments to form the Turks and Caicos Islands Cabinet:
- Charles Washington Misick— Premier and Minister of Finance, Investment and Trade;
- Erwin Jay Saunders—Deputy Premier and Minister of Health, Agriculture, Sports and Human Services;
- Akierra Mary Deanne Missick—Leader of Government Business and Minister of Infrastructure, Housing Planning and Development;
- Josephine Olivia Connolly—Minister of Tourism, Environment, Heritage, Maritime, Gaming and Disaster Management;
- Otis Chuck Morris—Minister of Home Affairs, Public Utilities and Transportation;
- Arlington Alexander Musgrove—Minister of Immigration, Citizenship, Labour and Employment Services;
- Rachel Marshall Taylor—Minister of Education, Youth, Culture, Social and Library Services.
The premier commenting on the appointments stated: “I have complete confidence in this group of individuals to ensure that the needs of the people of the Turks and Caicos Islands are met through the implementation of policies, legislation and programmes that are effective. Without delay, my Cabinet colleagues and I, are equipped and prepared to get to work.”